Home Building FAQ
Starting this amazing, beautiful, often maddening, and in the end, oh-so-worth-it adventure of building your dream home is filled with questions. Here are a few of those top questions with approximate answers aimed at helping you get your bearings.
How much does a new custom home cost to build?
While probably the most common question we are asked, it is also the most difficult one to answer. So here goes: it depends.
- How big will your floor plan be?
- How luxurious will your fixtures be?
- Will you choose high-end appliances and HVAC systems?
- How much custom craftsmanship will you want?
- Are you starting from an empty lot or renovating an existing space?
Unfortunately, you are in the driver’s seat to answer this frequently asked question. The good news is that Wood Construction LLC is here to guide you through all these choices (and about 1000 more) to create a solid budget we can use to predict your home’s future cost.
How long does a new custom home take to build?
In general, three to five months, but let’s under-promise and over-deliver by saying six months. There are about a million things that can happen to the best-laid plans, namely unforeseen weather, sub-contractor, and supplier problems. Sometimes compromises must be made and different companies must be called in.
One of the best things you can have as a homeowner during the process is an opinion. How often are you told that!? Knowing what you want and being decisive are so helpful and will keep the process moving forward.
Pro Tip: Do not hold up a paint crew for two days while you choose between three shades of eggshell semi-gloss paint swatches.
What should I look for in a custom homebuilder?
Believe it or not, the cost is not your number one concern. If you are speaking to several builders trying to get bids, they will never price jobs the same way. It will be like comparing apples to oranges.
Instead, focus on which company you feel most at ease with. If you build a home together you will be speaking to each other daily – the building process is challenging, so if you’re not already vibing with your builder, it will certainly make an already challenging process…well, suck.
Then, check their reputation, if they offer a design and onboarding process, and whether they can manage all building aspects in-house.
How involved are the homeowners during the process?
Custom home building is a unique proposition because it allows 100% collaboration between the homeowner and their builder. Every detail of your new custom home should reflect your personal style. So, you should be heavily involved, especially in the beginning of our design/pre-construction process, and then your builder will invite you on site during the build to approve the happenings. Communication is the key to that dynamic so be sure your builder answers their phone.
When renovating, what would be my biggest return on investment (ROI)?
Money well spent when upgrading your home is the key to any well-funded budget. At Wood Construction LLC we want our customers to allocate their hard-earned money toward home renovations and improvements that provide the greatest return on their investment. Here are some of the top home renovations that you should consider.
- Bathroom Remodels (up to 103%): Both minor and major bathroom improvements are big winners when it comes to returns on investments. Whether you are demolishing everything back to the studs or upgrading the current finishes from three decades ago to today, every dollar you spend will potentially be recouped and then some.
- Kitchen Remodels (up to 98%): Just like bathrooms, kitchen renovations can be large or small and still pack a big return on your investment. The kitchen is the heartbeat of homes where families and friends gather making it a focal point of efficiency and convenience. Consider replacing dated cabinets, hardware, flooring, and appliances for a new look. Or, take on a larger remodeling project by changing up the floor plan and repositioning how traffic flows through the kitchen. Your entire home may feel transformed by a kitchen upgrade and the ROI will not disappoint.
- Room Conversions (up to 94%): With today’s focus on remote work, consider converting a room into office space, or, finishing your basement or attic. Room conversions and renovations provide one of the highest returns on investment and add valuable finished square footage to your home’s floor plan. Increasing the number of rooms in a home adds flexibility for families and future resale value.
- Exterior Upgrades (up to 91%): Upgrading your home’s curb appeal never goes out of style or decreases ROI. From new siding and windows to a stylish new metal-clad roof, exterior upgrades are not only visually appealing they are energy efficient too. Putting your best foot forward in the neighborhood will pay off in the short-term as your home’s value increases but paying lower energy bills will be in your best interest long-term as well.
We keep track of Southern Maryland remodeling trends when it comes to remodeling projects. Many factors impact design ideas and homebuying decisions. It is also important to work with a qualified contractor, like Wood Construction, LLC, that understands building materials and can guide your choices. As an example, some trends may not work well for local weather conditions, and it is very important to know that ahead of time.
Have more questions?
We’re here to help you build the home of your dreams and we understand you may have more questions than what’s listed here.
Please get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to discuss how we can best help you craft a home you can call your own, and build your legacy.
LET’S BUILD THE HOME YOU’VE ALWAYS DREAMED OF, TOGETHER.
Ready to get started?
Trusting us with this very precious milestone demands a successful collaboration held together by transparent communication, quality-control checkpoints, and often laughter.
Let us be the first to welcome you home!